Celebrated on June 5th every year – World Environment Day is an important global event for raising awareness, encouraging action and education on how daily rituals can be a big part of reducing plastic consumption.
The statistics are alarming:
- 5.6 Million tones of plastic waste is generated annually in India
- 1500 Million plastic toothpaste tubes are discarded annually
- 800 Million plastic toothbrushes are discarded annually
- 20% of the toothpaste remains in a discarded tube
Be it our Oceans or our forests to our landfills that look like mountains, scientist’s today have found micro plastics just about everywhere on earth. 800 Coastal and marine species are affected due to plastic in oceans. In the same regard it has a disastrous effect on wildlife both in our oceans and forests with entanglement, ingestion and suffocation eventually leading to death. Finally, micro plastics are poisoning our soil and ground water systems.
Here are some ways you can make a difference:
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – The 3 R’s help minimize waste generation. Buy only what you need, reuse items instead of buying new items and recycle materials that can be processed.
- Conserve water:Be mindful of water usage. Over 15 liters of water is wasted leaving taps on while brushing.
- Support Local and Sustainable brands: Reduce single use plastic. It takes more than 500 years for a single toothpaste tube, toothbrush or mouthwash bottle to breakdown. Switch to Sustainable Oral Care Solutions.
- Educate yourself and spread the word: Stay informed and share knowledge with your peers. Participate in environmental events and support organizations working towards a greener future.
All it takes, is for us to ‘do-your-bit’. Making small changes in our daily lives collectively can have a significant impact on the environment. It is time to take action and make a sustainable choice for the cleaner planet for generations to come.